My Igorot Learning



Photo Courtesy: yahoo.com


The kid in me always reminds me how my fascination started to “happy” and “colorful” visitors who often I see during Christmas season.  I described them as “happy” because they always wear a smile while playing an instrument, and “colorful” because of their costumes. I remember asking my mother who are they and answer me once “bisita tayo isuda nga Igorot nga umay maki-paskua”. Since then the term “Igorot” raises curiosity in me. When I was in my grade school I remember a discussion telling that the Igorot are the people of the Cordillera, back then I was not even familiar to Cordillera. The simplest explanation my teacher told me then is Baguio City is Cordillera. 

My learning about Igorot became more understandable during my first year in high school. At this time I learned that term Igorot is an old Tagalog which means “people from the mountains” and was later used to generally refer to all mountain tribes from the Cordilleras. Our discussion then also includes the diverse culture of the Igorot – from their practices, traditions and languages even their dances, literature, music and chants. I got also an answer to my question back then to why they are wearing something different when they are visiting our place for carolling; it is their native clothing that they wear to symbolize their ethnicity, something that they are proud of. 
 
My appreciation to the Igorot becomes personal every time my uncle and his wife visit us. My uncle’s wife is an Itneg from Sallapadan, Abra who is proud of being a Cordilleran – an Igorot. Every time they visit us they would bring some of their agricultural products especially rice either the white or the colour one. Jacob Maentz a photographer who wrote a blog entitled People of the Mountains – Igorots of the Cordilleras described that “much of the culture and life in the Cordillera revolves around rice”. Their planting to harvest each period represents a time that is honoured and sacred in its own way, thus making every single product they gave us more special. Maentz added that “aside from rice cultivation there are numerous agricultural products grown in Cordillera because of the altitude and cool and temperature”. Other products such as vegetables are grown in abundance and are brought to lowlands to be sold. Perhaps this is one reason why the forest, mountains and their lands are significant resources to the life of the Igorot people because it is in here that they can get something useful. Aside from farming, I have also learned that hunting and fishing are also important parts of culture in the Cordilleras that is often learned at early age. The ancestral domains of the Igorots comprise their sacred places, burial and hunting grounds, some of which still exist up to this date because of their continuing preservation of said native landmarks.  


                                        Rice Terraces are common in the land of the Igorots.
   Photo Courtesy: yahoo.com
 
Even up to this date I can still remember some Itneg words my cousin taught me like “na-id” or nothing, “na-oy” or this and “atsidi” meaning to go. But forgive me if I misspelled them as she only taught me how to speak and what these words mean.  

It is in my college years when I learned about the rituals that the Igorot performs before planting and during harvest time as a sign of thanksgiving, and these practices are being followed even at the present time. The customs and traditions are being preserved and protected that most are now being threatened by modernization. 

Being employed as a television reporter made me discovered the link of the Igorot to my province Ilocos Sur. Our province has fourteen upland Indigenous Cultural Communities and nine lowland municipalities with indigenous cultural communities. These cultural communities are inhabited by Kankanaeys, Tinguians, Bago and some other tribes like Applain and Ibaloi that are all considered Igorot. This became possible as the said cultural communities are situated at the eastern part of the province or the Cordillera where the boundaries with Abra, Mountain Province and Benguet. I have also done several IP related stories such as the effectiveness of implementation in the locality the Republic Act 8371 or the Indigenous Peoples Right Act (IPRA). This was enacted to recognize, protect, and promote the rights of indigenous cultural communities, and the embodiment of the rights and aspirations of indigenous people in their right to ancestral domains, right to self-governance and empowerment, social justice and human rights, and cultural integrity. 

I can say that my learning about the Igorots is still in the process, but basing from what I have learned, researched and even read I can personally manifest that the Igorot are hardworking individuals with strong belief in the preservation of culture and the promotion of their ethnicity.   As Maentz said “one of the unique aspects of life in the Cordilleras is that the Igorot people are essentially a self-contained society running all aspects of life from business to politics. He added that “unlike many of the other tribes or indigenous communities in the country who have been extremely marginalized and pushed to small pieces of their original land, the Igorot people generally have maintained much of their land”. 

Now, I am excited to discover new learning about the Igorot people and their culture and eventually learn to personally practice the culture I got fascinated since I was a kid.


References:
PRINT PUBLICATIONS

Khan, R.E. (2011). Media and Culture. Anvil Publishing, Inc. 

Mendez, I.M., et al. (2002). Panahon, Kasaysayan at Lipunan. Diwa Learnings Systems Inc. 
National Commission on Indigenous Peoples Information Kit. (2014)

INTERNET


Alviento, Ver G. The Bago Tribe. Retrived from https://veralviento.wordpress.com/the-bago-tribe/

Maentz, Jacob ().People of the Mountains – Igorots of the Cordilleras. Retrieved from http://www.jacobimages.com/2013/05/igorots-cordilleras




Tibaldo: Knowing and Understanding Igorot Culture.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cultural Analysis of Sta. Catalina, Ilocos Sur

Vigan’s Binatbatan street dancing

Shared Culture: A tupig of Ilocos in Isabela